Saturday, January 20, 2007

Doomsday clock moves forward - unsuprisingly.

I am getting extremely frustrated with the scientists, media and various groups who insist on telling us how close we are to "the end of the world."

So when I read this story, I decided it was time to do a post about it.

The "Doomsday clock" group are extremely pessimistic. Were I in charge of an international body of scientists, I'd create the "Dawn of time clock" and have it just five minutes after midnight. It would provide a vision of hope and prosperity and encourage innovation.

Now of course I am not saying that the dangers facing humanity such as nuclear war, global warming and state surveillance are too be ignored. Far from it. However, these are short term issues compared to the problems that the world has previously faced, and neglible compared to the problems the universe as a whole has and continues to face. Additionally what exactly is the average person going to do with the information "We are five minutes from disaster." Run?

So instead of scientists trying to alarm us, perhaps they should be trying to come up with some solutions to help us. For example I don't yet see cars that run off CO2. I don't yet see a nuclear bomb forcefield system. I don't yet see a device which cloaks us from satellite tracking and other surveillance devices.

Labels: ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home