Saturday, December 02, 2006

A complaint to webmasters who have "exit" buttons.

I am what you could describe as an internet veteran. I've gone through the various fads (anyone remember freeipods.com?) and can usually tell a good website from a bad one pretty rapidly. I am assuming, as you were able to find this page, you also are fairly experienced with the web.

OK. So every now and then I will come across a page with an "exit" button. (Note I'm not talking about the "close" button on some popup windows).

An exit button is completely meaningless for the following reasons:

1) I could easily navigate away from the page or close my browser
2) The button gives no idea of the action that will be taken. Will the browser close, will I go back to the home page or will I be directed to another page.
3) If the browser window is going to close, I could do that myself already. If the button is going to take me back to the homepage, it should be called "home" or some other suitable name. If the button is going to take me to another site it should be called the name of the site it is going to take me to.
4) Also when an exit button is going to move you to another site, it often spawns adverts or the page being linked to is filled with adverts and is usually completely irrelevant and unhelpful.

Don't use them. They make sites look unproffessional and they slow down the browsing process, which will reduce the number of people who return to the page.

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home