Thursday, July 20, 2006

Favourite Quotations

ABC is to XYZ as DEF is to ___

There are several quotations I find particularly inspirational and relevant, and many were said thousands of years ago.

Perhaps the most poignant and well know quotation of all time is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" from the Bible. This to me appears to be wisdom, regardless of any personal beliefs you may hold about Christianity.

How about these from Churchill: "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." I certainly agree with that. How about "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last." This quotation is very interesting and still relevant today. I interpret it as a warning against apathy. How about: "When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber." This too is a warning which can be interpreted in many ways. The last quotation from Churchill I will use here is "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." Fine sentiments for us all.

Ghandi made several fantastic contributions for us to ponder such as "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." I like this a lot because it is a view I subscribe to personally. He also reminds us "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." When I discovered this, I was in awe. It is such a positive message that truly reflects his fantastic attitude towards life.

Continuing the theme of forgiveness Oscar Wilde stated: "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." I think he may have missed the point slightly there but its amusing nonetheless. Additionally he boldly proclaimed: "
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." I couldn't have put it better... "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." Ah, this one speaks so much and works at so many levels too.

What about Plato: "The greatest penalty of evildoing - namely, to grow into the likeness of bad men" or even "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."

I will end with a quotation from Socrates: "I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons or your properties, but and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, I am a mischievous person."

Now where can you find quotations of your own? A quick search for "famous quotes" will bring up plenty of results.


Answer: ABC of course.

Labels: ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home